The Adventure continues...post bar

"The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight. But they, while companions slept, were toiling upward in the night." "The Ladder of St. Augustine" ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

One Last Run Home

Its a bit of a miracle, but I was able to revive Kate for one more week in order to get me home! I called a mechanic in Virginia Beach and told him what was happening with my Thunderbird. He listened and told me that it sounded like something with the ignition. He told me something to try next time I had a chance. I was a little leery about his solution, but I decided to give it a try.

I felt like McGyver when I was able to start my car by popping the hood and taking a screwdriver and jumping the solenoid. No more tears or 15 minute ceremonies to get her running. Now the process involves turning the ignition on, popping the hood, using a screwdriver, a few sparks, and the engine is running again. This has been the routine all last week before I headed home this past Saturday for that one week I have been saving at the end of the summer to see my family. Some of my friends were a little worried that I would breakdown along the way, but I knew better. God was answering prayers of mine and my family so I could make it home. It ran beautifully! Granted, I didn't have any air conditioning but what was coming through the passenger window, but it wasn't too bad. Took me a full 8 hours to make it home, but I made it, safe and sound. Along the way, just over the Pennsylvania boarder, Kate flipped 216,000 miles!! How cool is that. I continue to be humbled and very grateful for the mileage I have gotten out of this car for the past 6 years.

As for a new set of wheels, I will be probably buying my sisters Nissan once we get a couple of things fixed on it. It will be my new set of wheels.

As for Kate, my Dad wants to hook up a "starter" switch just like they have in the Nascars in my Thunderbird. Her days might not be over yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home