The Adventure continues...post bar

"The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight. But they, while companions slept, were toiling upward in the night." "The Ladder of St. Augustine" ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Kate Is Retiring

Well, we have been together for 6 years now, and ultimately I cannot complain. Kate has been real good to me, putting up with a lot (some of you know how hard that is). But this last Sunday, in my church parking lot after the service, she refused to go any further. *Sigh

For those of you who don't know (I can see the confused looks on your faces), Kate is the name of my white 1990 Ford Thunderbird that has been faithfully getting me from point A to point B swiftly and safely with relatively little problem. The Lord provided this car the week before I began a very big adventure of joining a little start-up college in Purcellville, Virginia. We have been through quite a bit together, and after 215,000+ miles has decided she will move no more. For a while, Kate had her share of little malfunctions. The drivers side window did not go down, the weather stripping is missing in the drivers side door, the passenger side seat belts no longer worked, overdrive was gone, the center console cover barely stays attached, and there are a few rust spots beginning to show on her body, as well as some missing molding. On top of all this, for the last month or so, to get her started took about a 15-minute ceremony that included praying, crying, and repeating cranking of the starter till she would come to life. Just this past week, the air conditioner went out as well. The only major problem I ever really had was a blown head gasket at one point, but other than that, she ran like a beut.

She got me through a recent move this week, as I moved my (and two other roommates who couldn't make it into town, GRr!!!) stuff from our townhouse to a 2-bedroom apartment near campus. It made for a long week, but she picked a good time to go, as I am completely moved now. Also, the church parking lot is quite a fitting place as well, because a) one is less likely to curse and beat a car coming out of a church service just having their soul fed, b) it was God's car anyways that He graciously blessed me with for these past 6 years.

I planning to make a visit home come mid-August where I will see about getting another set of wheels. In a conversation today with a friend about Kate, the comment was made that it is hard to picture me in any other car. I am sure many of you would agree.

Thanks for the memories and always getting me where I needed to go, Kate. You will be missed! (And praise God for extending the life of this car for as long as He has! Look forward to his provision in the future. He is faithful.)

P.S. Trying to insert picture, but computer not cooperating. Oh well, will upload some another time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brandon Wilhoite said...

No! I loved that car.... was actually bragging about it to a coworker on a business trip a couple weeks back... Even I will miss it and I haven't driven it in six years....

11:17 PM  
Blogger Undeserving said...

Sadness! It just can't be! *sniff* I absolutely loved Kate. I especially loved driving her that one time when the muffler had gone out on mine: sleek white beauty versus rumbling blue piece of crap. :-)

3:00 PM  
Blogger i,Sardonicus said...

Mark, a piece of me just died when I read this post.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Janice Phillips said...

Dude! That is such a bummer!!!

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home