The Adventure continues...post bar

"The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight. But they, while companions slept, were toiling upward in the night." "The Ladder of St. Augustine" ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States

Monday, September 26, 2005

Wohlschlegel, please stand up

Greetings. Fighting off a bit of a cold I caught over the weekend. (Might have something to do with a midnight swim in the ocean??) I felt really tired throughout the whole day of classes, especially my 8:15 a.m. Christian Foundations class. I have never fallen asleep in a class yet, including undergrad, and I would like to keep it that way. They tell me sleep is good for that...might have to try that out sometime. ;)

I still have yet to face that certain fear that grips every 1L daily in classes - to hear the professor say your last name (or butcher it in my case) and ask you stand up and answer a question infront of all your peers. I have been prepared for the most part for all my classes thus far, hence the late nights (though in the morning until I look over my readings and find the highlighted spots, I couldn't tell you what it was I read). There are some classes that I feel pretty confident that I could give the teacher what he is looking for, as in Christian Foundations. It all comes out of the readings. There is one class however that causes me to cringe everytime the professor goes to call a name. This is Civil Procedure with Prof. Madison. I believe we are all scared in that class. The subject matter is very foreign to me...basically it is all about what cases can be heard in federal courts, and what cases must be heard in state courts. Now the professor is a great guy, and does make it interesting, but the concepts are somewhat hard to grasp, which the professor openly admits. The professor could also be described as a pretty intimidating guy. There are times I feel lost in that class. One of my fellow students will be called upon and he will give take his best shot at an answer, and I will be saying to myself "Am I supposed to know that??" LOL, oh the joys of being a 1L. All and all, it is a good class, but definitely one that keeps me on my toes, as I wrestle through the concepts. My good buddy, a 2L at George Mason, warned me about Civ Pro. Turns out that he was not far from the truth.

At this point, I will not be shocked if next time I write I will be relaying how the rest of the week my name came up for every class. (Knock on wood.) That is just the way it works, right? Oh well, might as well get it over with. I keep hoping with a last name like "Wohlschlegel" they will give up and skip to the next name, but it seems that most all the professors are comfortable in pronouncing it now from taking rolls. So, I may be out of luck there. At least this week will be short for me.

This Thursday I will be at PHC for a "Regent Recruiting Trip". Friday & Saturday is the big 5 Year Anniversary of Patrick Henry College, combined with our annual Alumni Meeting. This means missing 2 days of classes, (one of each class). But as Vice President of the Alumni Board, I have duties to perform, and plus it will be nice to see old friends again. I am looking forward to it. Good times.

Well, I best go give that 'sleep' thing a try, though right now I am not feeling too tired. What am I going to do with myself. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

has the professor asked for the real slim shady to please stand up yet?

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home