The Adventure continues...post bar

"The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight. But they, while companions slept, were toiling upward in the night." "The Ladder of St. Augustine" ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Long Day 2 of Orientation

Yes, today was long. I am tired. Could be a combination of not getting much sleep last night and that it is now 12:01 AM. Today we had a mock lecture on the two cases we preped for the night before. Lecture is done in the Socratic style - teaching having the students explain the material, and adding missing parts.

My roommates and I were happy about two things today: 1.To see that our briefs were pretty close to what was coming out of class, and 2. None of us where called upon to expound upon the cases (though we were prepared to do so). Other than this, it was a long day. Our assignment for tomorrow was to come with an outline of the general principles discussed in our mock class time, and be prepared to take a mock test - that's right, I said a test - on Day 2 of lawschool!! Crazy! And this is as easy as it is gonna get folks. For those of you who don't know, generally all or most of your grades in a class rest on just ONE final exam at the end of the year!!! That's it! You either get it or you don't. Talk about pressure at finals. Oh well, I'll just have to burn that bridge when I come to it. :)

Aside from our regular 4 hours of orientation today, there was also another hour and a half of lecture on the Importance of the OT by one of the Divinity Professors. It was very interesting, but after being in class all day, many of us were anxious to be done. I did enjoy the overview of the life of Moses covered. Here was a man who while in shepherding in the desert was asked by God to step out of his comfort zone and go lead a grumbling nation out of slavery. He felt completely unqualified for the task. He infact argues with God, listing all these reasons why he is unqualified (see Gen. 3-4). God refutes everyone and says, "Moses, your my man!" I can somewhat relate to this story. I too have stepped out of my comfort zone to enter law school. I also had used the original excuse of being unqualified with my own set of arguments why I shouldn't consider law as a profession. God, in His great patience and foreseeable wisdom, refuted my arguments, and now I am here, trusting He will carry me through. The point was made that we so often forget that this life is NOT ABOUT US! How true. (*sigh*)

After tomorrow, we have Thursday and Friday off except for a few social events. Can we say "beach here I come"?? LOL! Well, when I say we have "off" that is such a relative term. You see many of the professors have already posted First Assignment readings to be done before the first day of class. Let the fun begin. :)

I must head to bed! Keep on pluggin'!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home