The Adventure continues...post bar

"The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight. But they, while companions slept, were toiling upward in the night." "The Ladder of St. Augustine" ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States

Friday, September 05, 2008

Kansas City

I am on my way back from my first recruiting trip. I went to Kansas City my two co-workers, Tom & Kirsten. I don't recall ever visiting Kansas City or Missouri before, though I have flown through there before.

I left on Tuesday morning, on a different flight than my co-workers. I had been originally been scheduled to go, but was then needed in DC. That changed, so I was back on for Kansas City. I flew through Philly & was supposed to arrive about an hour after my coworkers, but I actually ended up beating them in because of the storm that followed us there. They were about to touchdown but then their pilot pulled up because of sidewinds & they had to pop up to St. Louis to get some fuel. I arrived about 15 minutes ahead of schedule, and waited in the nice rental car site for over an hour for them to arrive. We stayed at a Hampton Inn.

That night we met a potential student & his family for dinner at a local Olive Garden. It was a very nice visit, and we look forward to him attending Regent next fall. This family turned out to be friends with the family of one of my roommates in college! Small world. It was also pretty cool that one of the passing waiters heard us talking about law school and asked us for some information.

I had put on my facebook status about flying to Kansas and Melonie, a good friend from my generation joshua days in Cali facebook me wanting to know where. I ended up being only a half hour away, so Kirsten & I met the Scifers for dinner. It was fun to see them.

The law school forums were pretty good. Our first one was at Kansas University. I didn't even think of it til halfway thru how unwelcome I might of been if I mentioned where I was from - Go Bucknell Bison! We had the table right inside the door - talk about prime real estate! Got to talk to a handfull of students interested in Regent. One even drove down from Tulsa just to see us. Another fun thing was getting to know the other recruiter from the other schools. Many of them are recent graduates like myself waiting on their bar results. No doubt we will be bumping into them again on future trips.

Kansas City was pretty cool. It rained most of the time we were there. Tom told us that rave about their bbq, and he was right. We must have been asked at least half dozen times if we had it. We actually did the night Kirsten & I went out with my friends. It wasn't half bad. Oh, and if you decide to go visit the "plaza" be sure to specify which one. There are like 3. We had some free time one day and went looking for it. Whenever we asked how to get there, the locals would argue how best to get there & how far away itr was. We did end up finally finding it, the Club Plaza, a nice outdoor shopping area, with spanish looking architecture. It had stores such as the Gap, Tiffany's, Tommy Bahammas, etc. It is known for having fountains all over the place. We didn't have that much time to look around. It was pretty cool though, and I recommend it if you have some time to kill.

I am back in Virginia now waiting around in the Norfolk airport waiting for Kirsten & Tom to arrive. Hurricane Hana is visiting, but thankfully did not interrupt my flight. Time to go for now.

The Adventure continues...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home